Monday, March 18, 2013

Ooh La La

When I feel like being fancy, I usually turn to French Cooking. Julia Child once said "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport." I couldn't agree more. It's why I read so much about how they feed their children. It's their insistence on the freshest ingredients available that always produces delicious food that is at the same time simple. 

I was trying to figure out what to do for dinner tonight and when I was checking my email, I got an email from my husband about a dish for the brussels sprouts we got from Hollygrove. It's almost time to pick up our next box, so I need to finish what we have in the current box. This recipe looked super yummy and when I clicked the above link that said "Prepare a Simple French Farm Dinner", I knew I was in for a treat. 

I clicked the link and realized that I had about every ingredient - with some variations. The great thing about cooking versus baking is you can experiment with the ingredients and the measurements and still come out with a delightful dish. Try to substitute baking powder for baking soda!!

With a few adjustments and a quick trip to Whole Foods, I had everything I needed for a perfect French dinner. 

Adapted from grit.com


Radish and Orange Salad in Balsamic

1/3 cup mayonnaise - pantry
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar - pantry
1 tablespoon milk - pantry
1 tablespoon chopped capers - didn't use - don't like capers
4 cups trimmed watercress - used regular salad mix - it's cheaper! $1.00
3 large sliced oranges -  50 cents
1 1/2 cups sliced radishes - CSA
1/4 cup sliced green onions (scallions) - CSA
 
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, milk and capers; set aside (can be made up to 4 days ahead and stored covered, in refrigerator). On serving plates, arrange watercress sprigs; top with orange slices. Scatter radish and green onion slices over oranges, dividing evenly. Just before serving, drizzle with reserved dressing. Garnish with a radish rose, if desired.
 

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts With Apples 

1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts - CSA
2 cups chopped onion - didn't use this much - about 1/2 cup .50
1 tablespoon butter - pantry
1 pound sweet red apples, cored and sliced - only used one apple - .50
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves - used herbs de provence
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Steam Brussels sprouts until fork tender but not soft, about 5 to 8 minutes; drain well. Meanwhile, cook onion in a skillet with butter, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add apples and stir gently to combine. Stir in Brussels sprouts, thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Toss gently to blend thoroughly before serving. 

Pheasant Baked With Cream Recipe

 
1/2 cup all-purpose flour - pantry
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 whole pheasant, dressed (about 3  lbs) - not even! I used 4 chicken thighs - $3.50
1/4 cup olive oil - pantry
1 cup heavy cream - $1.50
1 large yellow onion, quartered - used other half of onion from sprouts
4 cloves garlic - pantry 25 cents
1 teaspoon dried thyme - used herbs de provence
 
In large paper bag, shake together flour, salt and white pepper. Place pheasant chicken in bag and shake well to coat.
 
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pheasant chicken and brown on all sides.
 
Add onion, garlic and herbs and saute until onions start to become clear and get browned on edges. Drain grease. Add cream. Saute about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked.

I changed how I made this part of the meal the most. You can read about it here. http://www.grit.com/food/good-things-to-eat/pheasant-recipe-zwrz13zgou.aspx

We really loved this meal!! It was so simple and full of flavor and a lot less than dining out in a fancy French Restaurant. Including the pantry items, I don't think I spent more than $12.00 on this by using the CSA foods. 
 
Fresh, Local, Organic

Bon Appetit!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails